Welcome to my Blog.
Please feel free to browse my ramblings below and leave a comment if you like, they are most appreciated.
Jo xx



Monday 19 March 2012

A Wonderful Mother's Day

I hope you have all had a wonderful weekend, I certainly have.  My lovely boys bought me two books I have been dropping big hints about for a while now.  After reading the fabulous new Sherlock Holmes novel I needed something else to get my teeth into.

I love anything about Wallis Simpson and find her a fascinating and often unfairly treated woman.  This book promises to be a fair account of her life and to see her in a contemporary context rather than the much maligned historical figure which is how many previous books and programmes have portrayed her.  I also wanted to read the fabulous novel 'Birdsong' set in France during the First World War.  There was recently a fantastic TV adaptation of the book which I enjoyed immensely so it will be interesting to see how faithful they were to the original book.

As the weather was dreadful hubby and I decided to go on one of our Sunday antique jaunts (Louis doesn't do antiques).  Firstly we ended up at Station Mill Antiques in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.  It is quite an expensive antique centre but the quality on offer is exceptional.  I did, however, manage to find this wonderful old leather hat box full of Edwardian millinery plumes and feathers, a couple have been made into head dresses, and they will all be for sale at the coming Spring fairs.

 Clarissa is modelling my favourite head dress. It has been made from a pearl head band with white plumes  and diamanté's.  Someone with more skill than me could re work the head dress more professionally as the larger plume isn't attached properly.  We then decided to drive on back to a favourite haunt, Barn Antiques near Stratford Upon Avon.

This beautiful antique French mirror was very reasonably priced as someone has begun to restore it but it looks too unfinished to leave.  I think we will probably sand it down and paint it with either Farrow & Ball or Annie Sloan paint which I have yet to try out.  

The last find of the day was this beautiful French frame with blue silk.  Perhaps it could be used to frame a fragment of an antique textile mounted on the silk and then placed behind glass...stunning!
As you can see we have had a lovely weekend and I was thoroughly spoilt.  Have a great week and now I've got to get my skates on and start sorting for the Vintage Jumble next Saturday.
Jo xx

8 comments:

  1. Some lovely buys, especially the gorgeous frame. I have been tempted by the Wallis book - let us know what you think when you have finished it. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jo, I'm so glad you had a happy weekend, I especially like the French frame with the beautiful coloured silk. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo, love the mirror you do find some gorgeous items. Have fun at the vintage jumble, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a very and enjoyable and productive day. Glad your boys picked up on your hints! I read 'Birdsong' many years ago and will be interested to hear whether your opinion of WS changes after reading the book about her life.
    Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spoilt indeed Jo!
    What great finds...I love the mirror and old French frame. You should have picked up some Annie Sloan paint when you were in Station Mill...I think it would be the ideal paint for the mirror.
    Hope you have a good weekend...get packing!
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you have done well! I will have to try Barn Antiques out as it is quite near me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh, I will try those places too in Chipping Norton and Stratford - I'm in Northampton so they aren't too far at all and we often nip over in that direction. You did so well!! Love your finds!

    I have just fired up the Bourgon & Ball website and love it! Very naughty of you to tell me about it, I'll be using all of my pocket money there.

    Nicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your blog and watching 'A Tale of Two Cities' (Dirk Bogarde 1958) at the same time. Got too engrossed in reading and looking at your lovely pictures, and have had to go back to the beginnning three times! Note to self, multi-tasking is too difficult for me, don't try it! What beautiful items you sold And bought! You have a real eye for loveliness!

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Many thanks to all of you who leave such lovely messages on my Blog, they are very much appreciated. I will try and reply to you all.
Jo xx